Co-Chair: Ofelia Elizabeth Zepeda
Co-Chair: Vina Begay
The purpose of the Native American Library Interest Group is to meet and share ideas, foster creativity, develop partnerships, inspire one another, enrich self knowledge, to strengthen and empower library services in improving the needs of the culturally unique twenty-two tribal communities.
Common Issues and Goals
- Promoting services to diverse populations including, but not limited to: teens/elders, disabled, other cultures, tribal reservation schools, and Native American authors.
- Resource awareness including local/state support, financial/salaries, on-line E-journals, computer equipment and Native American authors.
- To unite libraries throughout Arizona that serve Native Americans and other members interested in promoting awareness and services to Native Americans.
- To promote training through on-line workshops, regional workshops, and how-to-workshops on such topics including, but not limited to: grant writing, support, new ideas, ILL, patron management, partnerships, and sharing staff.
- To promote information dissemination through a clearinghouse, posters, reference and sharing Native American book lists.
- To address issues surrounding internet services such as access, web pages, technical support, and WebJunction.
- To promote local support through volunteer programs, Friends of the Library organizations, and mentors.
- To promote library planning activities, guest speakers and library development (existing space/obtaining/construction)
- Officers of this interest group shall consist of the following AzLA members in good standing: the Immediate Past-Chair and the Chair.
- The term of office for each chair will be a period of one year commencing at the conclusion of the annual conference.
- The Chair will forward the name of the person being nominated to the Chair of the Elections/Appointments Committee with the person’s written agreement to serve as Chair.
- The Chair will foster leadership for the interest group.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The NALIG will meet at least annually at the Arizona Library Association conference. Additional meetings may be called as required by the Chair.
- Communicate with members via interest group listserv and/or e-mails.
- The Chair will be assigned to the AZLA Conference Program Committee annually to insure program development that will meet the needs of members.
- Reports will be submitted by the Chair to the AzLA Secretary quarterly for presentation at executive board meetings.
- Annual report will be submitted by the Chair to the AzLA Secretary two weeks prior to the annual business meeting.
- Budget requests will be submitted by the Chair to the treasurer two weeks prior to quarterly executive board meetings.
AzLA members are welcome to join the Native American Library Interest Group page.